Through the generous support of compassionate donors and volunteers, the Vancouver Humane Society (VHS) has accomplished a great deal for animals.
For more than 30 years, our supporters have helped thousands of animals. If you’ve made a donation to the Vancouver Humane Society, thank you. You have joined our fight to make life better for animals. And you are making a difference.
VHS achievements listed below are your achievements.And this is only a sample of all the things that generous donors have helped us accomplish. (You can also see a full and detailed Record of our achievements).
- As of June 1, 2014, Overwaitea Food Group (OFG) became the first grocery chain in North America to feature ‘Cage Eggs’ signage on all of its stores’ shelves. The VHS-designed labels clearly indicate which eggs are free-run, free-range and certified organic, and how the label relates to the hens’ housing and welfare. OFG operates 140 stores in B.C. and Alberta.
- In 2013, your generosity resulted in the Calgary Stampede changing its policy on chuckwagon racing, calf-roping and steer-wrestling, aimed at reducing the risk of animal injuries.
- In 2009, the C.government introduced exotic animal regulations banning the ownership of a long list of exotic species.
- In 2005, VHS was the first to expose Canada’s cruel egg industry
- In 1992, the City ofVancouver became the largest city in North America to prohibit exotic or wild animals from performing in circuses and other modes of entertainment.
And your support has also had an impact on so many animals:
- Nearly 4130 cats, dogs, rabbits, and pigs spayed and neutered
- 1321 animals saved with emergency veterinary care
- Over 170 animals adopted out to forever homes (even though we do not operate a shelter!)
These achievements are only possible with your support. And every gift you make to the Vancouver Humane Society helps us continue to make these accomplishments happen. So if you’ve supported us in the past, thank you. And if you haven’t please consider making a donation today!