DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR (FULL TIME, PERMANENT)
ORGANIZATION: The Vancouver Humane Society (VHS) is a registered charity dedicated to the elimination of animal cruelty and suffering through advocacy campaigns, educational programming, and through emergency veterinary care. Vancouver Humane aims to advocate on behalf of animals and educate based on compassion. By connecting the choices we make with the lives affected, and by representing a positive vision for the future, VHS has had a lasting impact on animal lovers for more than thirty years.
HOURS OF WORK: Full Time 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday (flexibility for occasional evenings and weekends required).
START DATE: As soon as possible.
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Executive Director of the Society, the successful applicant will be responsible for developing strategies and executing plans to achieve the Society’s development goals. The successful applicant will actively engage community partners, sponsors, prospects and donors at all levels, leveraging key relationships to achieve fundraising goals, while promoting and enhancing the public image of the organization.
SALARY: $60,000, includes comprehensive health and dental benefits plan after 3 months of employment; candidate will enjoy a dog-friendly office, and ability to work from home/off-site part-time.
- Set targets, manage, and execute multi-year and individual donor campaigns and programs (e.g., monthly giving, workplace giving, legacy gifts);
- Coordinate and manage third-party fundraising program, manage and support all VHS events;
- Develop, implement, and maintain a cutting edge donor recognition program that cultivates loyalty and growth from all philanthropic sources, along with the development of a prospect identification strategy;
- Set targets, manage, and execute an annual support strategy from institutional donors and public and private grant sources (agencies, corporations and foundations);
- Represent the VHS in a professional and enthusiastic manner at all times;
- Supervise and coordinate fund and resource development and materials, particularly the creation of various communications such as brochures, appeals, presentations, and correspondence;
- Supervise and coordinate the maintenance of digital and paper records of prospects, donors, partners, foundations and grant contributors;
- Work closely with the VHS management team to set strategic and organizational goals; and
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Minimum of three (3) years fundraising experience.
- Post secondary education in a related field.
- Knowledge and experience in prospect development, donor appeals, donor relations and recognition, setting revenue and expense budgets, and communications/promotional activities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, verbal communication and listening skills; detail oriented, strong organizational, research and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Canadian charity and donation laws and CRA regulations.
- Demonstrated accuracy in data entry, records managements and reporting.
- Self-motivated, high energy, results oriented with the drive to exceed expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to work in team environment and communicate effectively.
- Experience or training in project-management with ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects (multitask) and respond promptly to a variety of requests in a high-paced environment.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Knowledge of non-profit, social enterprise initiatives and programs; social enterprise coordination/management experience would be an asset.
- Demonstrated written communication skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising software and databases (particularly Blackbaud/Raiser’s Edge).
- Familiarity with financial statements, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Proficient computer skills (especially MS Office and other relevant current business software programs), along with experience using social media for professional fundraising.
- Experience with merchandise design and sales would be an asset
- Valid British Columbia Driver’s license with access to a vehicle.
- Good understanding of animal welfare and humane society activities and ability to effectively communicate the mission and ideals of the Vancouver Humane Society in the course of their duties.
If you are interested in this opportunity and have the above qualifications please forward your resume with a covering letter, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Michael Austin, Executive Director
This opportunity will be posted until a qualified candidate is identified. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Vancouver Humane Society, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.